Games MDA


 

Image Source MDA

 

From my research into Games MDA I have learned a few things

  1.  MDA is an acronym that stands for Mechanics, Dynamics, and Aestethics.  This is what all games are based around. Whether that is video games or bored games.

  2.  Every game must have Mechanics which are the "rules and componants" of a game. It defines what the players can do in the game. The Dynamics are the interactive parts. such as how they work and controlls of the game, basicly how you want the game to be played or gameplay. The Aesthetic  is the emotional experience or desired emotion felt while playing the game, basicly the fun.

  3. This framework only gives indirect control of dynamic and aesthitcs because  it leads to a false hyposthosis that both dynamic and aestetic results from its mechanics, which is not true. It doesnt account for additional aesthetic game elements which arent created by anything from mechanics or dynamics. it is much more complicated than this framwork but the basis or foundation is there. This article was was based off an orignal paper or study called "RULES - SYSTEM - FUN" where they took the basic ideas and made an advanced version of it 

 MDA is a stepping stone to help move the designers game or project forward step by step. It is broken down to be viewed in its final form from two angles, the player perspective and the designers. 

I found this to be a tedious topic to research because, in my own opinion, I became very bored and zoned out very quickly to the video suggested to me as well as to articles I had to read. Instead I found a Youtube video or two that broke things down a little simpler and made it easier and more immersive to watch and understand. The first being Game Theory which I found was an easy to follow guide and Game Stories which was a bit dull but I understood the main point he was getting across. I found this one from - Extra Credits -to be somewhat funny which helped alot because I managed to absorb the basic knowledge a lot better and easier than most. I like this guys videos and find that quirkey videos like this hold my attention more because they are not dull or all theory. they add humour and depth like a game in a sense. 

I found that, after comparing the first article here against this article from co3project, The latter wasnt just an academic paper but instead something more visual and fun learning, which, ironicaly is what MDA is about designing something and have it feel and look good as well. in order to have fun or learn. the games and articles about MDA should fall under the same principle to grab the viewers attention and engross them in the topic/game.

Comments